When George Florence took on the lease at The Astor Theatre, I wasn’t yet two years old.
In my teens I remember reading the tiny ads in the cinema listings in The Age, but that’s as far as my curiosity went.
When I finally set foot in the foyer in 2003 I kicked myself for taking so long to go along to a screening. Ever since then I have told anyone that would listen that it’s the greatest place to see a film.
The grandeur of the seating, the resonance of the sound system, the scale of the massive single screen, the smell of fresh popcorn and the crunch of Choc Ice cones.
I’ve had the pleasure and privilege of being an Usher at the Astor for the last 3 years, and it will be an honour to be there when the 70mm projector warms up to screen 2001: A Space Odyssey for what might be the final time.
There are 36 screenings left before then, so here are my 11 picks for the final three weeks at the Astor Theatre.
- Back To The Future Trilogy: Saturday March 14
- Scarface: Monday March 16
- Akira & Ghost In The Shell: Wednesday March 18
- Apocalypse Now Redux: Thursday March 19
- Cinema Paradiso & Bicycle Thieves: Sunday March 22
- Full Metal Jacket & A Clockwork Orange: Monday March 23
- Koyaanisqatsi & Powaqqatsi: Thursday March 26
- Once Upon A Time In The West: Saturday March 28
- Gunga Din & King Kong: Sunday March 29
- Pink Floyd’s The Wall: Monday March 30
- 2001: A Space Odyssey: Saturday April 4 AND Sun Apr 5
(Final Astor Screening - Sunday 7pm)
The full calendar can be found at www.astortheatre.net.au